March 13, 2020
Urgent Notice from Bishop McElroy and Fr. Devdas
Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ,
Some of you have emailed and called about the coronavirus and I want you to know that I understand your concerns and fears. Please know that we are taking precautions and doing everything possible to keep you and your family safe.
In consultation with leaders from around the diocese and Bishop McElroy, starting Monday, March 16th, there will be no public weekday or weekend Masses. This is effective around the entire Diocese of San Diego until further notice. Effective March 13th at the direction of Bishop McElroy, all Catholics in the Diocese of San Diego are dispensed from the obligation to attend Sunday Mass until further notice.
All Catholic schools and Religious Education/Faith Formation classes in the Diocese of San Diego are cancelled, effective Monday, March 16th, until further notice. The same goes for all Lenten Penance Services in our Diocese. For the protection of everyone, all meetings at Santa Sophia Parish will also be cancelled, effective Monday, March 16th, until further notice.
I want you to know that even though we will not be gathering for Mass, the church is still your home and we want to help you during this time, so we will have the following opportunities:
- The church will remain open during the day for those who would like to visit and pray.
- We will have adoration every day except Saturday, from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm, as well as Wednesday’s from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm. We may not be able to celebrate Mass, but Christ is still present among us in the Blessed Sacrament, so I hope you will take advantage of this opportunity and take some time to be with him to pray for peace and healing.
- Confession will continue as usual on Wednesday’s from 5:00 to 6:00 pm, or by appointment.
- Anointing of the sick will be offered for those who are ill.
- A packet is available online with resources such as daily Mass readings, reflections and prayers. These resources will help you to remain prayerful in the midst of hardships.
Additionally, the Diocese will livestream Sunday Mass celebrated by priests and bishops of our diocese in English, Spanish and Vietnamese every week. You can access these celebrations on the diocesan website at sdcatholic.org beginning this Sunday, March 15th.
I want to encourage you to remain positive. Do not be discouraged, we as a people have gone through far worse. Continue to hope in the Lord, pray and trust in his will. Yes, the Lord is in our midst. Let us put our trust in him and do our best to get through this moment of uncertainty and obstacles.
Prayer for Families
shine your light upon our family.
Give us strength to overcome all difficulties
and protect us from all harm.
Lord, please help us to live in peace
as we are called to be.
May the love that binds us together
only grow stronger as we fulfill the destiny
that you have laid out for us.
Grant our family forgiveness,
and may we also forgive
and love one another,
as you forgive and love us.
In you, all things are possible. Amen.
Jesus, Mary and Joseph,
pray for us.
All Holy Angels and Saints,
pray for us.