Position Title: Parish Secretary
Reports to: Pastor
Hours: Full time, 35 hours per week
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Santa Sophia Catholic Church seeks a full time parish secretary. We are a Roman Catholic community with approximately 1,500 registered families located in Spring Valley, CA.
The Parish Secretary is responsible for clerical and office duties typically related to office administration. The parish secretary will work primarily with the business manager under the direction of the Pastor.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Main responsibilities:
- Answer phones and assist callers with needs providing general information pertaining to our parish/ Diocese — especially, needs related to the sacraments. Respond to voicemails.
- Answer the general office emails in a timely manner and follow up.
- Manage Pastor’s computer calendar/ appointments.
- Help walk-in visitors with their needs, such as: new parishioner registrations, Flocknote sign up, Mass requests, baptism information, Quinceañera information, replace sacrament certificates, or direct them to the appropriate person, i.e. pastor, religious education staff, confirmation coordinator or business manager.
- Maintain Sacramental Books with baptism, first communion, confirmation, marriage status. Maintain death register.
- Maintain Parish Data System (PDS) and Flocknote address, phone number, ministry duties, and volunteer duties current for parish census purposes.
- Responsible for collecting parish fees/ donations.
- Send out meeting notices as requested, attend staff meetings, and follow up with action.
- Work with pastor on weekend announcements and type up. Email announcements to sacristan on Fridays once approved.
- Assist pastor and other staff members with correspondence as requested.
- Assist parish organizations with communications, letters, requests for licenses, special forms, etc.
- Assist with the maintenance of parish files and office supplies.
- Collaborate with business manager for all mailings and scheduling volunteers to assist.
- Assist volunteers in answering phones, greeting visitors and vendors.
- Manage key log with approved ministry/ event leaders.
- Secure office at the end of the day.
- Facilities Scheduling:
- Handle requests for facilities’ use.
- Update Parish Data System (PDS) Facility Scheduler with approved facilities requests.
- Provide staff with schedule and set-ups for approved events.
- Coordinate set-ups with staff and requestor.
- Schedule volunteers to help with phone calls and receptionist responsibilities.
- Serve as back up to communications staff — especially, preparation of weekly bulletin and e-newsletter.
- Collaborate with communications staff in updating the parish website.
- Friendly, welcoming, professional, enjoys working with people, practicing Catholic.
- Ability to manage difficult and unforeseen challenging circumstances/ complaints.
- Demonstrates good judgement, discretion and confidentiality.
- Bi-lingual (English/ Spanish) preferred.
- B.A. degree preferable.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Suite — Word, Excel, Publisher and fearless in learning new software independently.
- Must demonstrate excellent organizational skills, inter-personal communication skills, and attention to detail.
- Must demonstrate time management and initiative to work efficiently without constant supervision and direction.
- Must demonstrate excellent written/ verbal interpersonal communications and problem-solving skills.
- Competent computer, keyboarding skills, and knowledge of use of printers, copiers, fax, and scans.
- Familiarity with social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time. Position also requires standing, stooping, bending, and lifting up to 30 pounds safely.
Please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com