Santa Sophia Parish
9800 San Juan St
Spring Valley, CA 91977
POSITION TITLE: Director for Catechetical Ministry
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
REPORTS TO: Pastor
HOURS: Full time, 35 hours per wk.
Santa Sophia Parish seeks a full-time Director for Catechetical Ministry (DCM) to serve the
parish community of Santa Sophia. The candidate for this position would be responsible for
overseeing the ongoing Faith Formation of Preschool, Elementary, Junior High, Sacramental
preparation for First Reconciliation, First Communion Candidates, RCIA adapted for Children
and family catechesis. A primary focus will be forming young people as disciples of Jesus Christ; drawing them to responsible age appropriate participation in the life, mission and work of the
Church; and fostering the spiritual growth of each young person.
- Organizing and supervising faith formation staff, catechists and volunteers.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Experience working in a “team” environment; Communicate regularly with Parish Staff
- Directing sacramental preparation programs (RCIA Adapted for Children, First Reconciliation, First Communion) in collaboration with parish staff and volunteers
- Assisting and resourcing catechists, parents, and ministry coordinators
- Maintaining records and aid in the certification of Catechists
- Training and ongoing formation of catechists and volunteers for Catechetical and Sacramental Ministry
- Budgeting of parish resources for maximum efficiency
- Assisting the pastor on special projects
PARISH: Participate in regular meetings with the Pastor and parish staff as needed. DCM strives to be a resource person for the parish staff and families on issues related to children’s
catechetical and sacramental Ministry. Duties of the DCM include but not limited to:
selecting curriculum, teaching materials and resources for the catechetical program;
support and implement diocesan and parish Safe Environment policies. DCM will
coordinate and plan sacramental worship services including First Reconciliation and First
CATECHIST AND VOLUNTEER TEAM: Recruiting and training adult leaders and
catechists. The DCM must help recruit, train, support and evaluate volunteers in Faith Formation programs. Make sure that Catechetical ministry staff has completed Safe Environment
background screening. Help to meet the Spiritual needs and the spiritual hungers of the adults in
their journey to Know Christ. Provide support as they share in accompanying our children as
Disciples. Keep parents, parishioners, adult leaders informed of programs, social, service and
event opportunities through distribution of calendar and use of various approved social media
SACRAMENTAL PREPARATION AND RCIA ADAPTED FOR CHILDREN:
The DCM is responsible for directing all Sacramental Preparation of children, to include First
Reconciliation, First Communion and RCIA Adapted for Children. The DCM will oversee these programs and coordinate a series of gatherings and retreat days for parents and or families to
assist them as they lead their children in the preparation for the reception of the sacraments.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND SPIRITUAL GROWTH:
The DCM should comply with the diocesan certification standards of maintaining the appropriate amount of hours to remain certifiable. The DCM is to participate in diocesan sponsored events
such as: in-services, workshops, conferences, courses, etc. and attend one spiritual retreat as
approved by Pastor
Schedule will have a set schedule of weekly gatherings but will also need a flexible element as
directed by the pastor. Work schedule will include Sundays and some evenings. The DCM
should include time to be available to the parents, children and parishioners at times that is more convenient for them.
- Bachelor’s degree in Religious Studies, Pastoral Theology, Catechetics or equivalent,
such as: Diocesan Institute Ministry Certificate in Catechetical Ministry.
- 3-5 years’ experience in parish catechetical ministry in a leadership capacity.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- A practicing Roman Catholic in good standing with the Church.
- Possess the Basic Catechist Certification
- Knowledge of Catholic doctrine, the Catechism of the Catholic Church and other
relevant Church and Catechetical Documents.
- Leadership and teambuilding abilities to direct religious education and Sacramental
- Be a self-starter who is disciplined, with excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with others.
- Possess excellent planning, organizational, leadership and collaborative skills.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English desired but not required.
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office and comfortable with Apple operating system.
Must have current technology and social media knowledge.
Qualified candidates may submit a cover letter, resume and references to: FrDevdas@santasophia.org